Pages

How Do I Store my DVD Collection?

Q: How can I store my DVD collection? I assume the original case is probably the best option but I have hundreds of movies and they are taking over my home.

A:
When storing your DVD collection, you want to:
  1. Protect the discs from scratches. Polycarbonate, the material used to make optical discs, is very strong. If it gets too many scratches or nicks on its surface, however, the DVD player’s laser won’t be able to focus on the data beneath the polycarbonate, rendering it unreadable.
  2. Protect your DVDs from warping and bending. Store your discs vertically (like a book). Prolonged horizontal storage can warp the disc, which means it wouldn’t spin properly in the drive.


I’ve mentioned this packaging before but, for archiving discs, I really like Univenture’s Unikeep disc wallets. The binders close tightly, which helps prevent the disc sleeves from sagging, drooping or otherwise not standing up vertically. The binders are also very “square” so they fit nicely on a bookshelf. (If you’ve ever tried to store a large number of traditional three-ring binders on a shelf, you’ll understand why this is a benefit.)

You can get these binders preloaded with Safety Sleeves. Safety Sleeves are made of polypropylene, which degrades slowly and is chemically non-aggressive. So, basically, the sleeve won’t get gooey and stick to your disc. Safety Sleeves also have a nonwoven fabric liner that not only protects your disc from dust but actually wipes/cleans the data side of your disc every time you slide it in and out of the sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment